HVAC Specialist / Building Mechanic
HVAC Specialist/Building Mechanic
Under general supervision of the Facilities Director: performs heating, ventilating and air conditioning installation, repair and maintenance work; maintain indoor environment comfortable for staff and students; and to perform related work as required. Perform weekly stand-by/on-call duties for campus emergency call backs and requests for maintenance assistance as required. Assist with general building maintenance. Works with the Events Crew.
William Carey University encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and those with disabilities.
Duties and Responsibilities
This job description does not state or imply that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Duties and responsibilities listed are essential job functions and exclude functions which are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties.
- Plan, organize and supervise all WCC HVAC operations
- Inspect, repair, maintain, troubleshoot, adjust and regulate heating, ventilation, refrigeration and air conditioning equipment including heat pumps, heating and ventilating units, air conditioning with gas or electric heat, reciprocating chillers, multi-zone units, hot water heating boilers, cooling towers, thermal energy storage systems, pumps, air handlers, return and exhaust fans, air compressors, variable air volume systems, refrigerators, and ice makers
- Replace valves, fans, motors, gaskets, filters and belts; refrigerant oil, contractors, fuses, compressors, capacitors, bearings, sheaves, actuators; use various testing devices to locate defective parts, pump down units with vacuum pump; use welding equipment to repair refrigeration lines; adjust RPM on motors and fans; check and adjust gas pressure on heating units
- Adjust and install switches, gauges, thermostats, valves, tubing and other parts as needed; makes pipe connections and repairs; troubleshoots and repairs electrical components pertaining to heating, ventilating and air conditioning equipment
- Check and test new equipment before installation; calibrate pneumatic and electrical controls; calibrates repairs and replaces thermostats; adjust, balance and redesign air flow through ducts, diffusers, and registers; sets time clocks for heating, ventilating and air conditioning equipment; maintain chemical water treatment for cooling towers, hot and cold water systems and thermal energy storage systems; operate and adjust building electronic controls for temperature and scheduling control; initiate and implement preventive maintenance system
- Keep up to date with regard to new regulations and procedures pertaining to heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration
- Makes estimates of labor and material costs for job; research catalogs to locate materials and parts required for jobs; requisitions, receives and stores parts and materials; purchases parts and material on open Purchase Orders; maintains records of time and materials
- Assigns and checks the work of helpers assigned to specific projects; works from blueprints, schematics and rough sketches; plans and lays out work on assigned work orders; makes rough sketches and working drawings
- Cares for and stores tools and provides for security of tools, materials and equipment at the work site; assists other maintenance personnel by performing unskilled or semi-skilled duties; operate vehicles
- Operate the building controls energy management system
- Performs related works as required
- Develop and implement a preventive maintenance program for HVAC equipment
- Coordinate and supervise all HVAC related contractors
- Assist with facility maintenance or repairs on occasion
- Sets-up and takes down campus events, tables, chairs, electrical apparatus’, tents, etc., when assigned to Event Crew
- Perform other duties as assigned
- 5 years minimum directly related experience in the heating, ventilation and air conditioning field, with two years’ experience in a supervisory position.
- Valid Mississippi driver license, fork Lift operator’s certificate, EPA Certified Freon gas Handlers Certificate.
- Ability to perform advanced math calculations
- Ability to read, write and speak the English language fluently.
- High School diploma desirable.
Heavy physical labor with constant standing and walking for extended periods of time; walking over rough or uneven surfaces; frequent lifting, carrying, pushing and pulling of objects weighing up to fifty (50) pounds; frequent bending, kneeling and stooping; climb and descend ladders, manual dexterity required to operate power equipment safely; ability to understand and follow verbal and/or written directions; ability to operate vehicles, including electric carts to carry, pick-up or deliver supplies to various work areas and/or campus locations. Ability to properly and continuously wear OSHA, ANSI, and WCU designated Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
WORKING CONDITIONS: Both indoor and Outdoor during all weather conditions including rain and extreme heat; exposure to sun for extended periods of time; work on slippery and/or uneven surfaces; work while using or wearing safety equipment such as respirators, protective gloves, steel toed footwear, face shields and goggles, spray and rain suits; exposure to dust, oil/grease, gasoline, diesel fuel, smoke and pollen, and/or hazardous materials such as pesticides, herbicides, solvents and other toxic chemicals and fumes; exposure to loud noise levels from equipment and vehicle operation; must work with and around extremely dangerous equipment and machinery with moving parts; work assignments may be scheduled at any campus location(s), day and/or evenings and weekends as needed to conduct campus activities. Adheres to WCU and departmental dress code, appearance is neat, clean and professional; properly wears WCU designated Facilities Staff uniform daily. Attends Chapel, official University events, and athletic (home) games, in support of University sanctioned activities. Compliance with OSHA, ANSI and WCU safety requirements and procedures is a condition of employment.